Monday 2 October 2017

Pot of Poetry: Artichoke

It has been months I guess since my last post. I hate it that I haven't been able to post articles more often. However, I would like to share with you one rather short poem that touches my heart the moment I read it. It is called "Artichoke" by Joseph Hutchinson.

O heart weighed down by so many wings!
That's it. Just one line, but it says much more than that to me.

An artichoke is but an artichoke. But put down like this, it reminds me of Wordsworth's sonnet which talks about poor souls "who have felt the weight of too much liberty", which argues that too much freedom doesn't do us good and certainly doesn't make us happier. Having rules up to some points gives a sense of security. Having none gives a sense of uncertainty. Well, too many "wings" can wear us down.

Also for me, it sounds like someone being too tired because he has so many things to do, and he has so many things to do because he can do it. Because he has the "wings" to do it. In fact, your talent, your skills, your knowledge, and your abilities can be a deadly trap that enslaves you.

The moment I read this poem, I don't even think about artichokes anymore.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Lemon Tree - Glad to see you post, no matter how often or not! :)

    I like this poem...in fact, I can relate to it very much right now. So many things (like blogging) are begging for my time. It can be very hard sometimes to choose, and I do feel weighted down by the consequences of choosing one thing over another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a very good post indeed. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it in my lunch time. Will surely come and visit this blog more often. Thanks for sharing.
    poker online

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also for me, it sounds like someone being too tired because he has so many things to do, and he has so many things to do because he can do it.
    LukQQ
    Situs Ceme Online
    Agen DominoQQ Terbaik
    Bandar Poker Indonesia

    ReplyDelete