Thursday 21 February 2013

Group Check-In #2: February 2013


Check-ins sometimes feel like a control management system of your reading progress. That's a good thing in a way, but feels like an inspection in other way. For a procrastinator like me, it's definitely a good thing to check my progress every now and then, and here it is:

I've read 16 (or 17) books from my list, most of them are parts of reading challenges. I need challenges for the same reason (apart from the thrill, of course): to get deadlines. Else I would read so slowly.

I keep changing and adding to my original list. It was first 50 books – no more, no less. But now, it increases into 55, and counting still. Reading Challenges and Reading Events make my list longer and longer, but I don't mind at all.

Right now I'm getting myself through Richard III by William Shakespeare while busying myself slowly with Adventures of Ellery Queen which seems to have a snail's progress. I also am trying my best to get through Spencer's Faerie Queene, with it's long long rhyming narrative and unusual spelling. Funny how easy it is with Shakespeare and how hard it is with Spencer.

One more thing, I get This Side of Paradise for my Classics' Spin. So, I'm reading it as well, trying to get it crossed from my list by March. I want to read Robinson Crusoe by then and I don't want to be distracted. 

2 comments:

  1. Well said Listra! Check-ins definitely allows us to inspect our progress and manage our further reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to avoid reading challenges, opting for the free spirit approach, but I'm finding that I really like the focus they provides and so many of mine tend to overlap anyway.

    I read a blog post about Robinson Crusoe yesterday and now I'm intrigued. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete