Friday 29 March 2013

Weekend Quote #38

“Who loveth once, must love alway.”
Still Euripides' Trojan Women. It also surprises me how many quotes touched my heart from such a short play. Hecuba tells Menelaus not to bring Helen on the same ship as he, because then he won't have the heart to kill the lady. Well, we know well enough from Odysseus that Helen regains her position as Menelaus' beloved wife instead of being killed as Menelaus promised to Hecuba.

I feel so touched by what she said, how love is hard to forget. So many other writers wrote the same idea. Shakespeare says “Love is not love which alters when alteration finds.” Mercedes also said to Monte Cristo that one can only love once. Even Pushkin's brave and resolute “I loved you” is succeeded by a weaker phrase, “and perhaps I love you still.”

It's a good thing and a bad thing, to love so hard and so long. When requited, eternal love will make eternal bliss and happiness. When not, eternal torment. Haha. Happily, we can always move on. I think love is not like a star that fixes its place in the universe, but like a plant in the garden that can blossom and die when we see most fit to make it so. Still, love will leave a mark, somewhere in the corner of our hearts, when we loved somebody.

That's the quote I want to share with you this weekend. I invite you to share yours. :D


No comments:

Post a Comment