It has been a long time since my last Character Thursday, hasn't it? I choose Amory as my victim of character examination today. Why Amory? Well, I have quite scrutinized Richard III the other day, and I don't find anyone else as interesting as Amory for the thing.
Amory is the main character of Fitzgerald's novel, This Side of Paradise (which I have just finished several days ago). Because the novel talks mainly about the development of Amory's thoughts and character, it gives us the experience of looking into somebody's mind.
Amory is a charming, good-looking fellow, raised in a not-so-harmonious family. His mother, however, loves him dearly and they had the most charming mother-son relationship, even as Amory grew older. Also another adult with close relationship with Amory is Monsignor Darcy. He again and again convinced Amory that he was doing fine and that he was capable of good things.
Amory claims himself to be a romantic. He says that being romantic means having 'desperate confidence that things won't last.' At the end of the novel, he also claims to be an egotist and a socialist. But for me, personally, all his philosophy seems to be immature and insecure. He's not really sure about is anyway.
Amory's social life is also interesting. He has good friends, those who share his thoughts, or share his room. These friends of him influenced him sometimes in grand capacity, but sometimes only in minor matter. I especially love Tom and Burne. Tom displays intelligence and shares Amory's love for literature while Burne shows determination and strongly believes in his ideology, no matter how weird or different it is from others.
Now to his romantic life. Amory is good with women (sort of) but not good with relationship. There are girls such as Isabelle and Rosalind, but none of them sees Amory as a proper husband. Good for a boyfriend, but not for family life. Amory's life was practically over when Rosalind dumped him. He's still a young man after all.
Perhaps the things I love most about Amory are these: (1) he's an omnivorous reader, (2) he reads, recites and writes poems, and good ones too, (3) immature as they may, he builds his convictions and beliefs upon what he has read/know.
That's all I want to share with you guys. Have a nice week.
Adalah book blog hop di mana setiap blog memposting tokoh pilihan dalam buku yang sedang atau telah dibaca selama seminggu terakhir (judul atau genre buku bebas).
- Kalian bisa menjelaskan mengapa kalian suka/benci tokoh itu, sekilas kepribadian si tokoh, atau peranannya dalam keseluruhan kisah.
- Jangan lupa mencantumkan juga cover buku yang tokohnya kalian ambil.
- Kalau buku itu sudah difilmkan, kalian juga bisa mencantumkan foto si tokoh dalam film, atau foto aktor/aktris yang kalian anggap cocok dengan kepribadian si tokoh.
Syarat Mengikuti :
1. Follow blog Fanda Classiclit sebagai host, bisa lewat Google Friend Connect (GFC) atau sign up via e-mail (ada di sidebar paling kanan). Dengan follow blog ini, kalian akan selalu tahu setiap kali blog ini mengadakan Character Thursday Blog Hop.
2. Letakkan button Character Thursday Blog Hop di posting kalian atau di sidebar blog, supaya follower kalian juga bisa menemukan blog hop ini. Kodenya bisa diambil di kotak di button.
3. Buat posting dengan menyertakan copy-paste “Character Thursday” dan “Syarat Mengikuti” ke dalam postingmu.
3. Isikan link (URL) posting kalian ke Linky di bawah ini. Cantumkan nama dengan format: Nama blogger @ nama blog, misalnya: Fanda @ Fanda Classiclit.
4. Jangan lupa kunjungi blog-blog peserta lain, dan temukan tokoh-tokoh pilihan mereka. Dengan begini, wawasan kita akan bertambah juga dengan buku-buku baru yang menarik