Friday 1 March 2013

Weekend Quote #34

"I'm not sentimental – I'm as romantic as you are. The idea, you know, is that the sentimental person thinks things will last – the romantic person has a desperate confidence that they won't.”

Taken from Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise, the idea of this sentence occurs at least two times, although in different words. It's cute, I think, the way Amory describes his philosophy. He doesn't have so much time thinking about it, yet he believe that it's true.

For me, personally, it's so sceptical to think that things won't last – no, not romantic. But true, it's not very wise to believe that all the good things will last forever. We need a balance between both. It reminds me of the quote I chose last week, about how despair and hope can both make us mad.

That's the thing from me this week. Anything to share?


No comments:

Post a Comment